tcejbO:Object

Week 5: Field

Reflection: 

I have found this project interesting, challenging and exciting. I was happy with the task set as I felt that it was already related to my subject Interior Design. The object that I chose was an origami Lilly made by my niece Lilly. I struggled to chose what to pick to find one object could be anything, and it is such a wide brief to pick any object and then display it. By the Lilly had meaning behind it for me personally. I was happy with my object and almost immediately after choosing it, I knew what I wanted to do with it.

The development of my work moved quiet quickly as as soon as I decided what I was going to do, I needed to start creating so that I could product the final outcome I wanted. I knew that I wanted to create a space that had a certain atmosphere and feeling within it, I also wanted to use the work of Sir Anthony Gormley within my work and use human form. So i decided to also have Lilly my niece in the room and see how she interacts with the space and how it makes her feel.

The space that I chose for this display was room B2.04 is the university. This room was relatively small, has hard concrete walls which I like as the colour of the walls links well with the colour of the Lillys. Which I made from pink and cream paper. This space was ideal for what I wanted.

Creating the image on SkecthUp first allowed me to have a better understanding of how the space would work and what I needed to do when actually creating it. For example I learnt that the Lilly’s need to be quiet low for Lilly to interact with them, this isn’t something that I had thought of before creating it on SketchUp.

It was hard work as I spent days hand folding hundreds of paper Lilly’s. However I was worth it for how the final outcome came out.

I know that the Lilly’s could have been better quality, but through making so many they weren’t folded as precisely as I wanted. I also wish that I had experimented with lighting more before I produced my final space. An obstacle that I had to overcome was that the Lilly’s took  a long time to thread and hang up, this lead to the instillation being very slow and took a number of hours to complete so I wasn’t able to hang all the Lilly’s, but I came around this by putting them on the floor and letting Lilly interact with them. This worked well, and kept her engaged in the space, and with it.

Presentation: 

I was pleased with my final presentation, I feel that it did reflect the feeling and atmosphere that I wanted it to. I was also pleased that I was able to take the group to see my installation as it allowed them to gather a greater idea of what I was trying to produce.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Overall I was pleased with my project and felt that it was successful and had a strong link with my subject Interior Design. I would change things such as making all the Lilly’s the same colour, I feel that it was have looked more consistent and less handmade if I had done this, however I was very pleased with my final outcome. I wanted to create a space for experience and that meant something, I feel that I achieved this. I have thoroughly enjoyed this project and felt that I was able to apply my skills from Interior Design into it. Although it was a simple idea, I think it was one of my more successful projects, this is because I developed the idea over a few weeks and got it to the stage where I was happy and then worked hard to create the space for experience and produce a final outcome I was happy with.

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Video created by Arts Council of Wales, demonstrating our work and the impact that it has had on the school during our work placement in Pembrokeshire. I am very proud to share this video, we worked h

Video created by Arts Council of Wales, demonstrating our work and the impact that it has had on the school during our work placement in Pembrokeshire. I am very proud to share this video, we worked h